View All News
International and Regional Arrangements:
- Paris Convention: Yes
- PCT: Yes
- ARIPO: No
- OAPI: Yes
- Patent protection can only be obtained in the Comoros by way of a regional OAPI application
For more details, see OAPI
Prior to the Comoro Islands joining OAPI on 25 May 2013, it was not possible to obtain patent protection in the Comoros. All OAPI applications filed on or after this date now automatically cover these islands.
Granted OAPI patents can also be extended to cover the Comoros by way of an application to the OAPI registrar. An application for extension should be filed within 20 months of the Comoro Islands joining OAPI, i.e. by 25 January 2015, although it will still be possible to apply for the extension after this date on payment of a fine.
The application for extension can only be filed once a patent has been granted, and any pending OAPI applications which were filed before 25 May 2013 will have to proceed to grant before they can be extended to include the Comoro Islands.
- Area: Approximately 1900 km2: Grand Comoro (1146 km2), Anjouan (424 km2), Mohéli (290 km2) (Mayotte, not included – 375 km2)
- Population: 0.8 million
- Capital: Moroni (on Grand Comore)
- Currency: Comorian Franc
- GDP: $ 789.4 million (2010)
- Domain name extension: .km
- Languages: French, Arabic (official languages), Comorian
- Exports: Cloves; perfume oil; copra; ylang-ylang trees and products
- Imports: Rice and other foodstuffs; cement; petroleum products; consumer goods; transport equipment
International / Regional Conventions:
- Berne Convention
- Paris Convention
- Patent Cooperation Treaty
- WIPO Convention
Please contact us for more information on this country.